Rescue Swim Sonnet


fallow lie the fields

of grim Athenry 

yes, we have no milk 

the cow has run dry 


those perishing below

from her window sees

but does she even hear

their heart-twisting pleas?


Lady of Shalott 

wrings out tears like rain

cries for herself not 

children with no grain 


what use is crying 

with no song to say 

the doom is upon her

she's clean sailed away


lonely is our lady 

of towered misery

drowning in blossoms

in boat off the quay 


Such a golden waste 

bright sparkler divine

Makes me consider 

the spark that is mine


methinks as I dwell

in my quirky rhyme 

about brevity of 

the tango with time


to the death dicers 

who flirt with the grave

a word of caution 

before the final wave  


spare a thought for those

leaving leaves behind 

when contemplating 

a darker shade of mind


as for me, I'll wear

my 24-karat glow

done with silence now

time to tell and show 


no more colors hid

under basket confine

time to blow the top off 

this little light of mine


I quit dancing to

the puppet masters tune

flip the script face up

rewrite my own rune 


I've a debt to let 

my bright and dark shine

keening out me to 

my young still in line. 


cut loose choke holders

get my priorities straight

cut free loaders adrift

release their dead weight


this is both swan song

and coming-out ball

parting with death dance

as life to life calls

 

I'm harkening to

those truly in need 

by cutting out takers 

I give givers the lead


life ring thrown back

to drowning gone before

rescue swim sonnet 

pulling toward shore


my pay it forward

filling shoes they outgrew

what good they gave

the only kindness I knew


in parched earth vale

better to light a spark

than waste golden dreams

by cursing the dark


Pax Vobiscum. 

Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive