Big Lake Poems: Pink Pickable Ladyslippers

Pink Pickable Ladyslippers
This one is from The Big Lake Poems anthology. The Lake Michigan dunes flora decorated my growing up and has inspired these poems. This one is about lady slippers, childhood and big life choices.


i wasn't to pick the lady slippers
that much was clear
but they are so pickable and plus i WANT to
i whined to grampa

as we walked to Lake Michigan
through the woods of the backdune
where their precious lady slipper
grew just to taunt me

let them grow he said
if you pick them, no one else can enjoy them
i didn't see that as my problem
there was no one around to see them anyway

Besides he said they are protected
its illegal to pick the lady slipper.
illegal, humph i scuffed my feet and scoffed
(not really seeing that as my problem either)

pick up your feet, you'll ruin your shoes
he smiled over his shoulder 
to where I lagging and still slightly scuffing 
Also if you pick the lady slippers, they can't grow.

he had me there
other people not seeing flowers
did not in the least bother 
a selfish four year old girl

going to jail for picking a flower
did worry me a bit
not about breaking laws
only whether i could bring my toys

but to be responsible for the murder of flower?
now that was troubling
if i should pick her
she would wither and die

her pretty pink blossoms shaped like fairy pointe shoes?
little flowers that never hurt anyone 
whose sole job was to make the forest nice
i decided to leave the lady slipper to her work and announced this to grampa

grampa in his plaid flannel coat
took his less-selfish little girl's hand
in his big printers ink stained one
and we walked home, we two, content in our company

Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Blog Archive