Big Lake lost on Sunday

Sunday was the best day to walk

to the Big Lake Michigan

with grampa and the fat poodle Pierre

and the neighbor's German shepherd Duke

that grama called a police dog


On Sunday we could not do anything

grama and grampa were Dutch reformed 

I was not but I still couldn't watch TV

I could walk with grampa in the woods

But that wasn't why I liked Sunday lake days best


I didn't really like Sunday at all because it was boring

But I did like being at the lake which was not boring

Sunday was best because it felt like it would never end 

you could get lost and there is nothing like being

Big lake woods lost with grampa


I told grampa I wanted to live there forever

he said I'd soon get hungry and come home

it was nice to think of grama who never lake walked 

waiting at home with lazy dogs 

who had given up and sandwiches


But I still think about my Lake Michigan 

back dune woods house made of

beach grass and driftwood

like homes children in Africa lived in

that I saw in Childcraft


My grandson Milo felt quite the same thing

when we went Sunday walkabout at Lake Michigan

We agreed we'd like to live there for always

in the big sand dunes with tall beach grass

in little forts we'd make for ourselves


I am very sure that the fort I saw 

in my 5-year-old mind is the same

5-year-old he sees, many years later

If only there was the grama grampa house

with sandwiches and them waiting for us


I'm the grama now, making sandwiches

at the Omi-Opi house for after walk Sundays

I like that, seeing old loved faces in new people loved

I meet grama and grampa in them, again

such is the circle unbroken.


(love, Omi Sachteleben)





Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Blog Archive