Milo's tree fort






my grandson Milo and I

found a tree fort made of pine

near a school playground 

we thought it mighty fine


carefully he inspected 

another's house design

in ice-cream drip shorts

explored evergreen shrine 


There were tripod branches 

leaning companionably 

like friends on each other

just like Milo and me


we admired the needles

arranged upon the trees

prepping for the winter

to weather wind and freeze


He found moss growing

softly wild in the wood

upholstered a log chair

as great-great grampa would


Then he kindly invited

Omi to take a seat 

all pillowed in green

so I could rest my feet


we imagined a bedroom

"quite small" said he

perhaps it was a closet

where the broom would be


The smell of the wood

and the fir and pine cone

in the forest by the beach

which he is taking home


a gestalt wonder feast

painted thistle and lime

marram trails to wander 

in a dune old as time


I shall dream tonight

of our cozy forest home

I hope he remembers

our shared lakeland roam. 


with love from Omi to Milo. 7.21.2026


Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive