First Responder to the Dead





Charon is my rock

though I can't say why

Hero ferryman

lifeboat he does ply 


that's how I see him

helmet on his head

a first responder 

to those who are dead


living have saviors

patron saints galore 

but the drowning need

a friend at the shore


lifeboat's not the word

for this charnel ark 

passengers deceased 

he ain't afraid of the dark


ain't afraid of nothing 

prince nor principality

just keeps on vaping

through double negativity


his job's not rescue 

it's too late for that

the soul finder with

searchlight on his hat


seen him depicted as

skeleton crew of one

poling his barge to

Elysian night sun


I like him in rags

coat of many hues

mama made for him?

with holes in both shoes


so many ferried 

safely cross the flow

looking forward to

wherever it is I go


so many, so sure 

to heaven they ride

color me less sure 

grey child mystified 


they say garments washed

come out white as snow

in the blood of lamb

when homeward we go

 

could it be we all

see what we wanna see

visions of ourselves 

as we'd like to be?


maybe I'm mystic 

in glass darkly see

what I know for sure

mine's a mystery 


I find strange comfort 

in insecurity 

it's self-assurance that 

destabilizes me. 


does it really matter

how I start or end

just so I land in 

the boat of my friend


I find peace in rags

of Captain Charon

unfamiliar safety 

the girl and her boatman


cuz death's just a stop

on a long steam train

glory-bound platform

Michigan dune rain                                                                                                 


and this is one 

(the lady of Shalott is still signaling BTW. So keep tuning in to TOWR radio for updates. He rescued me, so there's hope for her.)




Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive