Lisping in way-back rhyme


Dune of many steps

runs down to the lake

out to horizon 

underneath the wake


chromatic scale hues

twinkle in the sand

fairy microcosm

I held in my hand


to find my true north

I look to my lake

spirituality

awoken, wide awake


Mandela spinning

slideshow carousel

at Formica table 

known and loved so well


Here's an old photo

but it's new to me

a fat gawky kid

at home by the sea


silly weird  haircut

where long tresses fell

sacrificed to a

god jealous as hell


look at the picture

pretend it's not me

examine closer

now what do I see 


just a little girl

unposed candid peek

not photogenic 

nor a circus freak 


hard to unsee self

without eye of mind

past mental images

so cruel and unkind


I saw different 

I saw inside out

Still can't envision

what I was about


wonder what she saw

squint-eyed in the sun 

blinded by the night

that made the tears run


In elemental swim

building forts in sand

chatters to herself

in this long-ago land


two missing front teeth 

jack-o-lantern smile

chubby cheek chipmunk,

lisp with me awhile?


natter with grandkids

but her I can't reach

funny little sand crab

playing on my beach


I could leave a note

scrawled along the lake

I should warn my girl

of pain and heartbreak 


I'll leave her happy

stick writing in sand

grains of tomorrow

falling through her hand


my hand. 







Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive