Leave the moonlight on for me


well look who's back

Omi and Opi

flew in from dreamland

settled in our tree


nested by the bird seed

grampa always hid 

he knew the good spots

so of course they did!


downy woodpeckers

you may call these things

they're my elder sparks

grand spirits with wings


Once upon a memory

I'd dream of we three

walking by our big lake

my granddad and me


to their eternal rest 

they were finally sent

but came back to visit

from wherever they went


All tears dried we hear

but if heaven's so swell

then tell me why them

leaving hurts like hell? 


Maybe they knew I 

couldn't cope alone

didn't want to leave me

again on my own


so they came each night

then they had to leave

these nocturnal visits 

always made me grieve


it must be hard when

earthlings hold you tight

but I was stuck too 

in a death grip plight


then one night they said

I must let them go

perhaps it hurt them

to see me hurt so 


so I did so they did

cease to visit me

must have been ready

for I didn't even see


they live in recall

verses woven in foam

yet it seems they found

a new place to call home


I hang a feeder

in the backyard tree

like they always did

where birds love to be


when the seed runs out

they scold and nag me

they keep on dining 

when I walk to the tree


we startle each other

it's quite an affray 

we laugh and beg pardon

he never flies away


perched supervising

feeder filling time 

I fully comprehend

his mute pantomime


and in the evening

when birds go to bed

I still see friendly 

shade shadows in my head


elder sparks hover

in twilight requiem

I daren't blink or move

lest I might miss them


these feathered fairies 

whatever they may be

neither fact nor fiction

still drop in on me 


now we've gone gentler 

in dark night of soul

in fairy fragments 

I find full-moon whole


a back dune meander

Elysian daydreams 

driftwood and fireflies

Tlingit moonbeams


now play hide and seek

for grandpa is silly 

when the moon is new 

no light we can see 


like he always did 

bidding me goodnight

began to shut the door

thereby dousing the light


it was just pretend 

just so I would howl

always left it open

my dear wise old owl


sacred was the ritual 

bed bugs and sleep tight

moonshine wish kisses

hugs with all our might


my elders sparks still 

twinkle for us to see

never shut the door and

leave the moonlight on for me




Pins Welcome!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive